Monday, March 22, 2010

Supernatural 5X14 My Bloody Valentine Review

Supernatural
#5.14 “My Bloody Valentine” Quick Review

Dean (to Sam): Be my Valentine?
My bloody Valentine, this episode was aptly named. In the “Now” segment that was one gory scene. I saw the movie “My Bloody Valentine” the movie staring non other than Jensen Ackles. I enjoyed the movie….but IMO there was less gore, blood and just plain scary scenes than in this episode. This was the grossest episode from SPN but that didn’t bother me. I can just envision Sara and Ben gleefully laughing their heads off that they got away with that scene. Sara has stated she more gore the better.

Ben Edlund is another writer who’s on my favorite writers list. He outdid himself on this one. I knew part of the plot, but putting that aside, it was great at very beginning when Valentine’s Day was going very wrong and the logical conclusion would be Cupid had gone apocalyptic. Great scene with  Cupid, Dean, Sam and Castiel; it was the one of the few scene that had some humour.
Dean: [to Castiel] “Is this a fight? Are we in a fight?”
Castiel: “This is... their handshake.”
Dean: “I don't like it.”
Castiel: “No one likes it.”

The rest of the episode was heavy, dark, depressing and looking like the apocalypse was in all out war stage.
Castiel starts to figure out who might behind all the mayhem…Famine. Whatever you craved you could not get enough of it.

Seeing Castiel eating his way throughout the whole episode instead of Dean was hilarious, especially since we never see Castiel eat, drink yes, eat no. Dean calling him the “hamburgular” funny.

Anxiety was building from the start of the episode and continued to increase as each scene played out. Watching all the different addictions attacking the town was well done. Sam wanting craving blood was no surprise. Eric Kripke has said a few times, “Sam’s an ex-addict”. I can now point out to Eric that once an addict always one, difference being sober, which in this case Sam has to start all over again. Jared did a fine job with this episode. All his scenes showed how hard he was fighting, telling Dean to tie him down good because he knew he was loosing this battle. The demons setting Sam free were such a smart idea…not. They sure paid for that mistake. Bad ass Sam drinking women demon’s blood then expelling the demon from the other. Great scene.

I was starting to wonder what would be Dean’s craving as he didn’t seem to be affected, but it was really weird to hear Dean say food and sex was just not interesting him….OK “Where is Dean and what did you do with him?”

Fugly dude and creepy, loved that depiction. This decrepit old man, just plain creepy; the massacre in the diner was one bloody messy scene.  Awesome episode. Jensen, Jared & Misha hit it out of the galaxy again.  Sad Sam had to give in to his addiction, but I believe Sam was the only one who could stop Famine.Dean and Castiel coming up with a plan to find Famine was a good idea.
Castiel going in by himself not so.good Good thing Dean didn’t wait very long (was that even a minute?) to go help save him. Yeah like that worked really well. At first I was thinking we need one Winchester unaffected otherwise how could this situation be resolved. Famine had to be stopped. Castiel eating raw meat was useless to anyone, and Famine’s minions had Dean well secured.  Dean telling Famine I’m not affected by you, and Famine confused as to how Dean was resisting. More so when Famine asked how can you not be affected in my presence.  gut-wrenching scene watching Famine place his hand on Dean and say “you aren’t affected because you are already dead”. Gotta think about this. Was Famine touching Dean’s soul or discovering Dean didn’t have a soul anymore. Somehow I don’t think that’s the case. Is someone keeping his soul safe from everyone who seems to want it????

I had no idea what Dean could do. It was somewhat of a surprise that Sam all juiced up on demon blood would be the one to defeat Famine. Well not defeat him but crush the demons he had inhaled and weakening him so that Famine disappeared and the town was set free. It was great to see Sam be the only one who fixed this, and all because he had demon blood in him. Wait didn’t Ruby saw that Sam always had the power, he didn’t need the blood? Another point to think ponder.
Dean’s pain having to listen to Sam detoxing again was just cruel. At least this time Castiel didn’t open the door. (Are we ever going to find out why Castiel did that?). And speaking of the panic room where the heck was Bobby?

It was horrible to watch Dean looking so defeated, alone, lost and out of answers or ideas. Who was he asking for help? Michael, God anybody???? IMHO he was asking God for help.



At 9:35PM I yelled…”oh no you really aren’t going to leave me with another cliffhanger are you?” There was just too much happening and few answers being given to believe in the 15 minutes everything was going to be tied up nicely!
I hate and love cliff hangers but can’t stand the long time we have to wait. I have no idea what Eric and crew have in mind…just know it’s ripping my heart out.

Nitewoman  
Additional thoughts.
What I got the most out of this episode was Dean seeing Sam’s powers in full demon blood force. He’s never seen Sam that way before. Even though he knew that Sam was powerful enough to kill Lilith, he really didn’t understand how dangerous Sam was until he saw him here.
The pain and regret we saw on Dean's face watching Sam use his demonic powers was hard to witness. It really shook Dean to the core.

I think Sam will emerge from this crucible all the stronger for having to go to a place he never wanted to be at again, broken and drinking demon blood. While he now carries the shame and fear of having succumbed to Famine, he also carries the knowledge that in the crisis, he still said no to Lucifer via Famine – and what he did in taking down Famine, a being his power couldn’t directly affect, argues that human ingenuity and strength of will can be wild cards that trump seemingly predestined plans.

It didn’t make sense to me that Dean, the consummate hunter, would simply stand there with a knife in his hand and not cut off Famine’s ring. I’m assuming he cut off the ring off camera!

That whole scene with Dean and Famine did not make any sense. I think someone left a part of the scene on the cutting room floor. Where did Famine go, what happened to him, is he dead (don’t think so) did Dean get the ring? Yes I believe he did just would have been nice to see that.

Sam in detox once again tore me apart, never mind what it did to Dean. Dean listening to Sam going through detox again.
Dean defeated, alone, lost and out of answers and can't do it alone asks God for help - gut wrenching. Dean’s depression has really kicked in but he’s not at the bottom yet, but not far from it.

Dean's soul is lost for now so he feels dead but he is carrying on fighting for humanity. You can't do that if you have no soul. . Dean's soul is just misplaced in Dean's mind cause he can't forgive himself for what he has done, all the people he’s let down or have died etc but getting so low he will start to see he has to forgive and God will give him all the strength and power he needs. As a beautiful poem says "when you only see one set of footprints in the sand that is when God is carrying you. Just not sure I can last till the end of the season without going running to the nuthouse!
That's why Dean's soul is just misplaced.  As a beautiful poem says "when you only see one set of footprints in the sand that is when God is carrying you. When Dean gets the help he desperately needs that is when he will start to see he has to forgive and God will give him all the strength and power he needs. The same goes for Sam. I believe that Sam and Dean will say no!

As for Cupid well guess he was ok, sure not the way I pictured him.

Sam: “Alright, I'm just gonna go through some files, you can go ahead and get going.”
Dean: “Sorry?”
Sam: “Go ahead. Unleash the Kraken. See you tomorrow morning.”
Dean: [confused] “Where am I going?”
Sam: “Dean, it's Valentine's Day. Your favorite holiday, remember? I mean, what do you always call it? "Unattached drifter Christmas"?”
Dean: “Oh, yeah. Yeah, well... Be that as it may, I don't know. Guess I'm not feeling it this year.”
Sam: So, you're not into bars full of lonely women?”

Dean: “Remarkably patronizing concern. Duly noted.”
Simple comeback to Sam that shows how broken the brothers relationship still is. Major complaint this hasn’t be addressed enough. I have hope it will be back the end of the season.

Cupid: “Hello, you!” [hugs Castiel tightly]
Dean: “This is Cupid?”
Castiel: “yes.”

Dean: Is this a fight? Are we in a fight?
Castiel: This is... their handshake.
Dean: I don't like it.
Castiel: No one likes it.

Dean: [speaking on his cell] “Cas', it's Dean. Yeah, Room 31-C, basement level, St. James Medical Center—“
Castiel: “I'm there now.“

Dean:” ... yeah, I get that.”
Castiel: “I'm gonna hang up, now.”
Dean:” ... right.”
I love this exchange. Misha is perfect doing deadpan so well and Dean is the one with the comedic timing…actually both are.
And to end I love this one:
Dean gets fed up and hits him.  "You punched Cupid," says Sam.  "I punched a dick" replies Dean.  Taken out of context, that line is incredibly dirty.

Nitewoman

No comments: